May 11, 2023
Hyosung Innovue Technical Bulletin
In light of an increase in skimmer attacks, Hyosung encourages you to review the nature attacks, your risk exposure and steps you can take to protect your fleet.
There are 3 types of skimmers, all designed to read Track 2 data from the customer’s card:
- Overlay Skimmers attach to the outside of the ATM that read the card as it enters the ATM
- Throat Skimmers attach on the inside of the fascia that read the card as it enters the ATM
- Deep Insert Skimmers are inserted into the card reader that read the card when it is inside the card reader
Not all card readers have anti-skim capabilities. The most accurate way to determine if you have a card reader with anti-skim capabilities is by the firmware version; the firmware version is available from VDM or by printing the SP/EP version from the NBS Supervisor menu
- For DIP card readers with anti-skim capabilities the EP version will be either V4414-xxx or V5293-xxx.
- For motorized card readers with anti-skim capabilities the EP version will be V5969-xxx or V4017-xxx.
Be aware DIP card readers with anti-skim capabilities can only detect external skimmers. Motorized card readers with anti-skim capabilities can detect internal and external skimmers.
- Install anti-shim plates on all card readers. These can be purchased through our WebOrders website (https://weborder.hyosungamericas.com/SU02310)
- For DIP card readers see part number 5766000260
- For motorized card readers see part number 5766000255
- Adopt a card reader with anti-skim capability.
- Schedule regular (morning) visual inspections of machines looking for overlays or foreign objects inside the card reader.
If you have any questions, please contact us at 1-877-Hyosung.
Executive Vice President Software